Everglades Wonder Gardens
In 1936, brothers Bill and Lester Piper established The Reptile Gardens as a roadside attraction along the newly-built Tamiami Trail from Tampa to Miami. It was a place where visitors could marvel at the wildlife wonders of Southwest Florida!
In 2014, the Everglades Wonder Gardens changed hands to Bonita Wonder Gardens Inc.. Since then, the non-profit organization has preserved the best of the 80-year old roadside attraction, restoring wildlife enclosures, nuturing the botanical beauty of the property, adding education programs, offering volunteer opportunities and further engaging the community.
Today the Gardens are also home to a collection of rescued birds and reptiles.